Sunday, February 24, 2008

Passion and Challenging Conversations

Greg Stier talked tonight at the conference. It was good. Basically, he just told us that we must listen to where kids are at spiritually so that we can get the issues on the table in an authentic, real way where there can be conversation. Here's the thing...Sometimes, I want to be comfortable. Sometimes I want me to be happy. The reality is that if we are going to move kids BEYOND something of a trivial version of Christianity, we must start digging SO deep that they cannot step out of the line of fire.

I am fascinated with the idea of taking 8 kids to an Island, asking them spiritual questions and just listening while engaging in life threatening activites. But this is what Greg Steir did. He found that the students were willing to listen to him only after he listened to them.

I want to listen to students. I want to hear what they have to say. I want to listen to adult leaders. I want to hear what they have to say. I want to hear what people that don't know Christ have to say! I want to engage in the hard conversations to move people towards full devotion to the God that they say that they serve!

God has rejuvenated me this weekend. I'm pumped to go back and continue to preach the love of the cross, the message of the gospel, and proclaim truth to students and adults alike. I realized this weekend again and again (and have realized before) that I love what I do and we are so blessed to be a part of a church that values teens!

God, give me passion to hear the students that are within reach. Give me the grace, mercy, and confidence to address issues in a loving, hard way. Help me to continue to seek you and your word day IN and day OUT!!!!

1 Comments:

At February 26, 2008 at 2:15 PM , Blogger Pastor Mark said...

Great thoughts Chris. I enjoy reading what God is doing in your life through student ministry. How did I find out you had a blog anyway? It's been a fun read.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home