Thursday, August 9, 2007

Belief and Faith

I am reading through a book called "The Signature of Jesus." It has me incredibly fascinated by the its' very premise. The first chapter talks about true authentic faith and the difference that is between that and belief. You see, we have an issue in America and possibly around the globe where there is a strikingly high number of people that say that they "know and believe" in Jesus Christ and yet they feel "dead", their actions don't back up their words, or they have no idea what it means to follow Jesus Christ.

I believe that we must engage in radical discipleship for true authentic faith begin to grow. Giving people the opportunity and the challenge to step out of the place that they are, the comfortable place, into a place where they will experience God working is such an opportunity to engage in Authentic faith. So often, it is easy for me to sit back in my cacoon of ease and watch as the world goes by. I make excuses so that I will not have to experience uncomfortableness. God, make me someone who seeks to know where you are working. Make me a man that follows you into danger, into comfortlessness, into passionate faith and radical discipleship and let me not fall into the drones of the dead faith that people so often mention as the reason that they don't believe in Christ anymore.

As a church, can we make disciples out of people if they are not being challenged outside the walls of the "safe" church? Can we truly reach our destination of "developing fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ" if we cannot and will not allow our people to grow in ways that are dangerous, in ways that are uncomfortable. My prayer after Thailand was that my heart would be broken for my neighbors. My heart can be broken for my neighbors over and over again but if I don't do anything with that, my heart is simply a dropped glass. It doesn't bring about any life change. If I decide to do something about my heart condition, it will be uncomfortable. It will be outside of myself. It will be something that I must see God work in because I am incapable of bringing anyone to Christ in my own strength and in my own power.

Almighty God, maker of heaven and earth, direct me to be outside of myself. Make me someone who is outside of my comfort zone in all ways. Help me to respond to the heart condition that you have given me with passion, grace, and confidence.

Amen.

1 Comments:

At September 4, 2007 at 10:56 PM , Blogger B'Nai Noach - Sons of Noah said...

Chris,

I pray that you continue your service with strength and encouragement. Know that I continue to pray for you, and your words, as since the day we met, have continued to be encouragement to me as well. I desperately wish I could be out there with you and Cassie to share in the coming joy of your blessed child. I hope to make it out soon, dear brother. You are my rock. You are my accountable councilor. You are my chaver. My friend. I pray time brings us together soon. And if God has plans for us, he will show them in His time. But for now, I must bloom where I am planted. I pray we see each other again soon, brother. Bloom where YOU are planted. I pray that God does great things through you're time there in Kansas. That he will work in you, around you, through you, and when need be, in spite of you. Trust in Paul's words to the Church at Philippi:

"I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:3-11)

May these words find your heart in rejoicing. And may your words on your blog find the eyes, ears, and hearts which God desires them to encourage, including my own. Keep in touch buddy.

Love-in-Christ,
Andy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home