Sunday, July 22, 2007

Materialism...And Markets.

July 22, 2007
Thank you Jesus for all that you have shown me in the last 30 hours. You have shown me grace, mercy, and a culture that is beyond my comprehension. It is a culture of love, family, and poverty. It is hard to believe that children are happy in the conditions that they are in. It is hard to find the reason that children are smiling. God, take from me my pride. Take from me my materialistic mindset. Make me a man after your own heart. Make me a man that seeks the will that you have set for me in my life! God make me like your son Jesus Christ! Change my life. Mold me and shape me for your kingdom, not my will but your will be done.

The last couple of days we have been in the Lahu village in the mountains. It took about an hour and a half to get to the village. When we got there it was somewhat surreal. We went into this house that was made out of bamboo. There were holes in the wall where there were splits in the bamboo and the floor was open. There was no furniture and so the people simply sat on the floor and enjoyed each other’s company where they were sitting on the floor. There were several of the Lahu and their family in the house that we stayed at. I was again impressed by the community driven aspect of their lives and was challenged by God to think about what it means to live in community with other believers like the church of Acts did. My materialistic, individualistic mindset is so different than what these people experience all the time. And yet they are happy. They are content to work hard and play hard with one another. There is still somewhat of a hopelessness but there is also something that God is doing in several of their hearts and mindsets.
We did a church service this morning where we had the opportunity to give 3 student testimonies, I team preached a message with Scott Hackett, and we sang “choir style” some hymns with Becky playing the guitar. I thought the entire service went quite well. I think that the people enjoyed a different type of service and I believe that God will work through the power of his word in the hearts and the minds of the people there and the people of this trip.

We went back to Chiang Mai tonight and enjoyed being in the hotel once more. It was nice to have a hot bath but we were automatically confronted with materialism as we went to the market tonight. How much stuff should I buy? How much money should I spend? What about when I feel guilty? Hmmmm…..

God, I will deal with these issues beyond tonight. I will deal with individualism and materialism for ages to come as long as your word remains true (which is forever). Grant me wisdom beyond my years to deal with this tough issue. Don’t let me get so wrapped up in this issue that I lose sight of you, rather let me be focused on the cross and what you have done for the people that you love. Your blessings are amazing, God let me glorify you with what you have graciously given me. In your name….

By the way, we had pizza tonight…So good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home